Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wrap Up Reflection


I finally figured out how to add video!  This may not sound like much, but for me it was more than just learning how to "embed".  It was about not giving up no matter how frustrated I might become.  In the past, I may have just given up on it since it was not something I regularly used.  I also learned more about podcasts and how to update them, and how to buy songs on iTunes.  Where were iPods when I was a kid!  I love it because I can get WCCO 1800 and get my fill of the Twins whenever I want.  I have actually discussed this stuff with my kids, including different kinds of headphones.  (I guess Bose are the best, but they are $100 a set.)  My son showed me how to hook our digital camera to the TV and computer for visuals.  (Then he showed us all 1,000 pictures he took in Egypt.)  I learned how to then use the photo software and download photos.  You can see from above that I learned how to import photos.  The photo I have shown is my sons favorite picture form Egypt, go figure.  I explored more websites for PE and fun widgets.  During this time, I was also learning about PC programming.  We have a laptop PC at home and an Apple desktop.  I had always used the Apple because that is what we have at school.  I like the laptop because you can use it anywhere, but I think I prefer using the Apple.  (I know my wife got sick of me asking "How do you do this," or "Where so I find that"?  It seems like the more exploring you do, the more there is to explore!
I finished the Christenson book, it was one of the most intriguing and interesting reads that we have had to do for this program.  I was very much in agreement with what was said, but have a hard time seeing it happen soon because of budget and TIME.  This became all the more apparent to me as I was doing the research for my project.  The more time I spent, the more time I not just needed, but wanted.  In the future, I will look more forward to"professional growth" where we get to select what our department will focus on.  I spent time not only speaking with colleagues in my middle school department, but at the high school as well.  Not only that, I spoke with teachers outside of physical education.  What started out as an idea for a class may actually turn into reality.
At the beginning of the class I was skeptical of the benefits I would receive from it.  I got much more than I anticipated.  I received not only skills, but a better appreciation for what is out there technology-wise.  It renewed my interest in my field and what could be possible.  It made me remember what it felt like to be a new teacher with lots of ideas before anyone had a chance to say no that won't work.  I do wish that teachers were given more time to not only develop skills, but have time to implement the different technologies, whether it is simply time for updating a personal website or creating lessons on presentation.  Integrating the heart rate monitor is going to be time consuming, but I am not going to let that deter me.  I also appreciated and enjoyed collaborating with others in my district and I will continue to do so.  In the past, such meetings weren't always my favorite. Next year, Northfield schools will begin having a 2 hour late start every Wednesday so that teachers will get growth and development minutes that way instead of day long meetings.  My outlook for those meetings has changed.
An unexpected benefit I received was the time and connection I spent with my kids.  I was amazed by not only how much technology our kids today are exposed to, but how much they know and what they can do.  I was proud of them, but more scared for them, too.  As I learned about the technology, I also learned about how that tech can be manipulated by others.  It is scary, not only can others do them damage, but they can damage themselves.  It is great that they have these new skills, but is the maturity there so that they properly use those skills.  Parents today have to have a whole new level of awareness and trust of their kids.  Technology use can be positive and negative.
Even though I may not have learned or accomplished as much as others in this class, I will say that I enjoyed what it brought me even though I struggled at times with tech and time issues.  The word technology has a whole new meaning for me when it comes to my field.  I will sum up my experience in this class with a sentence from my paper. An old dog can learn new tricks, even though it may be slow going and hurt a bit.  Not only that, but the old dog, once the trick is learned, can be better than ever.  Corny, but appropriate.


 

1 comment:

  1. Paul:

    I really enjoyed having you in class. Reading your final blog was a highlight. I wish you the very best on your "learning" journey, in whatever area you are learning in. My wife is related to your Principal, so you'll need to be nice to him. Take care, Patrick

    ReplyDelete